Stay alert: COVID-19 will still be with us this winter
COVID-19 will still be in the community this winter so stay alert - even if you’ve had it before.
Remember these five important tips from Auckland Regional Public Health Service:
1. Be vaccinated. Vaccination is the best protection against getting very sick from COVID-19.
Everyone aged 5 or over can get free COVID-19 vaccinations. It doesn’t matter what your visa or
citizenship status is.
2. Keep up healthy habits: Healthy habits can protect you from lots of winter illnesses - not just
COVID-19. They include washing and drying your hands well and often, wearing a mask
(especially inside), and coughing/sneezing into a tissue or your elbow – not your hands.
3. Be alert for symptoms: If you or anyone in your household has any cold or flu-like symptoms,
stay at home and free-call Healthline: 0800 358 5453. They will tell you what to do, including
how to get a test. Healthline is available 24/7, with interpreters available.
In an emergency (for example if someone is having difficulty breathing), immediately dial 111
for an ambulance. COVID-related medical care is free.
4. Stay home if you live with someone with COVID-19: Everyone living in a household with
someone who has COVID-19 needs to isolate for seven days – not just the person with COVID.
Please do not send your child in if they live with someone who has COVID-19, even if they are
5. Check: is your whānau up-to-date? Now’s a good time to check that your whānau is protected
against other diseases like measles, mumps, rubella and pertussis (whooping cough). With New
Zealand’s borders re-opening, there’s a greater risk of serious diseases like measles arriving
here. Talk to your doctor, or check your own health records (such as your Plunket or Well
Child/Tamariki Ora book) to see if everyone’s up-to-date with their immunisations.
For more COVID-19 information and advice
Healthline: 0800 358 5453 (a free, 24/7 service with interpreters available)
Unite against COVID covid19.govt.nz
Auckland Regional Public Health Service www.arphs.health.nz
Ministry of Health www.health.govt.nz/covid-19
Northern Region Health Coordination Centre nrhcc.health.nz